Weather Unit: Observations of the Wind

Thursday, March 26, 2015

One more day until Spring Break at my school and I am EXHAUSTED so this is going to be a quick post. This week we've been learning all about weather and my kids are completely fascinated by all things weather. Tornadoes, tsunamis, lightning, etc. The more destruction, the better for them LOL!

In the middle of the week we did a fun observation day of the wind outside and reported the weather. It wasn't the windiest day unfortunately but it gave us some good opportunities to test the wind. Some kids thought there was no breeze at all until their paper blew off their clipboard! Then we had some kids tossing their papers into the air to see if theirs would fly too. Did I mention I'm excited for Spring Break?

Each kid had to rate the wind conditions using a modified Beaufort scale. They really like learning what the word "gale" meant. I love pushing them to learn new and interesting words that real scientists might use.


Then they had to back up their observations with drawings of visible evidence of the wind. This little girl was observing me as she drew this. Hysterical!
They also had to write 1-2 complete sentences describing the wind conditions. I forgot to get a picture of their responses. Click on the link below to get this FREEBIE! Please comment with how you used it, I hope it gives you a good excuse to get outside!
Click on the link below to be redirected to this FREEBIE!
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Wind-Observation-Sheet-1783486

No comments:

Post a Comment