Instant Success with Happy Notes (FREEBIE)

Friday, January 16, 2015


For the first few months of school, I had a stack of readily copied behavior forms when students acted out in school. I really only used them during exteme problem behaviors like when a student would physically or verbally hurt another student. I used them for documentation, accountability, and to alert parents of a concern. They are useful and I definitely need them, but I was forgetting one very important tip I received at the beginning of the year. Don’t forget to send the positive things home too! With that in mind, I made these simple “happy notes.”

On the first day I used them, I gave them to a student of mine who may not get the most positive comments most of the time. He was so excited to get his happy note that he propped it up on the corner of his desk so he could see it all day. All it said on it was, “You’re doing such a great job!”

When he came in to school the next day, I asked him if he showed it to his mom. He smiled and said, “Yessss.” I asked him what she said about it and he shyly said, “I don’t remember” and scurried off to his seat. I continue what I’m doing and about a minute later, he came running over and said that she gave him a big hug and said, “That’s my boy!” Happy tears!! I wish I did this sooner.
 
I just copied them onto yellow paper and keep them in my desk like this.


Every now and then, I write one out and privately give it to a student at my desk. I make a valient effort to not make it a competitive thing or use it as an incentive. It’s not a prize that students get. It’s just…a happy note! :)

Click on the link below the picture to get your FREEBIE! I hope it helps increase your positive communication with students and their families.

Click for your freebie!

No comments:

Post a Comment